It seems like lifetimes ago, but I was once a road-warrior. Trust me, those of us flying regularly deserve to use the term “warrior”.
I rose in the early AM on Monday to hop a jet, sometimes having to wake as early as 3 am. By the time I landed, it already felt like I had worked a full day, but no. There was at a minimum a 9 hour workday facing me before I got to check into my hotel room. Sometimes I was up a full 24 hours before I had the opportunity to sleep.
Among the many challenges of travel is missing the creature comforts of home. This long-time makeup lover had to abandon a vast selection in favor of a succinct collection that would suit my daily needs and fit easily in my carry-on. Each week I had only two lip colors to choose from, two or three eye pencils, and a tiny neutral shadow compact (or no shadow at all).
The founders of Stowaway Cosmetics are familiar with this conundrum. It doesn’t only affect frequent travelers, but women who exercise at a gym, need to reapply at work, or heck, anyone who wants to tote an assortment of cosmetics with her day-to-day. The brand is working to reduce makeup bulk by offering a line of petite products with luxe formulas.
Beauty Blogger Essentials post yesterday, I really couldn’t fit all of my Beauty Bloggers Go-To Products choices into only one post. Here’s part two, a post filled with my tried and true skincare and beauty items. All of these items are available at Nordstrom.com (and to give credit where credit is due, the images used in my collage are also from Nordstrom). Enjoy! Don’t forget that right now there are some incredible deals at the Nordstrom Clearance Sale.As I mentioned in my
Beauty Bloggers Go-To Products
- NARS The Multiple: This product is the holy grail of cream cheek color, so much so that many consumers forget why it’s named The Multiple in the first place. This NARS product can be used on eyes, lips, and cheeks. It’s a tube of makeup versatility that’s perfect for any beauty-lover in a hurry or needing to travel light. Retail price is $39.
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple: This cleanser is the perfect balance of price and effectiveness, and I’ve been using it for so long I tend to hoard it when I can get a discount (like the XL sizes offered at Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale). Retail price is $11-36, depending on size you select. Shopping tip for Philosophy lovers: the larger the bottle, the less you pay per ounce!
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish and Mineralize Skinfinish Natural are my all-time favorite MAC products. I love instant gratification, and applying this all-over face powder instantly delivers a look of youthful radiance. Retail price is $32.
- Laura Mercier Smudge Brush: In just about every makeup brush category, I can rattle off a few brands that offer great choices. In the smudge brush category, the Laura Mercier Smudge Brush always clearly rises to the top in my mind, and I reach for it routinely. This small domed brush features dense bristles that smudge an eye pencil application to perfection. Retail price is $24.
- Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil: That soft, sultry eye makeup look you’ve been seeking out? Laura Mercier Kohl Eye Pencil delivers. It also comes in almost-black color choices for beauty lovers who want to add a slight touch of color to their makeup routine. Retail price is $24.
- MAC Lipstick: I hate to just say “MAC Lipstick” without being specific. If I was forced to name a favorite at gunpoint, I would probably scream out “Cremesheen” but the truth is I simply love my MAC Lipstick, in every and any finish! Retail price is generally $16, but varies if an item is a limited-edition shade.
- Algenist Genius Anti-Aging Cream: The team at Algenist once passed along their Genius Anti-Aging Cream, and it’s been quite the remedy for my dry, aging skin. It feels great when I apply it at night, and also really brings the skin back to life making it look more youthful and healthy. Retail price is $110.
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick: Bobbi’s Shimmer Brick is the gold standard if you really want to glow. Pink Quartz is my all time favorite, but I’d happily grab any Shimmer Brick shade I can get my hands on! Retail price is $44.
- Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme Foundation: I’m going to be honest and tell you I was torn on which Estee Lauder foundation to include in this list. Last year the brand simply won me over with their new Perfectionist Youth Infusing Makeup, but since I haven’t replenished that bottle yet using my own $, I’ll write about Estee Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme, a product the brand sent me to sample many years ago and I’ve purchased many times since. Resilience Lift Extreme contains a cocktail of ingredients that boost collagen production and instantly make skin appear firmer (and therefore younger). Retail price is $42.
Beauty Blogger Essentials
This week’s Makeup Wars topic posed a bit of a problem for me. The Makeup Wars team is writing about our tried and true go-to products, the items we reach for again and again and replenish over and over. I had a blast pulling together this Beauty Blogger Essentials List, but have to admit that I couldn’t fit all of my “go to” beauty items in one post!
As a result, today’s post is part one of a two-part series and you can see the remainder of my Beauty Blogger Essentials List tomorrow. Love what you see? All of these products can be purchased at Nordstrom.com. While you’re there, don’t miss the Nordstrom Clearance Sale! It’s definitely worth a peek.
- NARS Nail Polish: If I had to pick only one nail polish to use, I’d splurge on a bottle of NARS Nail Polish over and over again. This highly opaque color-rich formula can truly be applied with only one coat. It’s big 3 free, and has a gorgeous wide brush for applying. It’s a seriously luxe experience from end to end, with professional results. Retail is $20.
- Lancôme Color Design Shadow and Liner Palette: There are a gazillion eyeshadow palettes I love, but the Lancôme 5-Pan Color Design Palette is currently the first I reach for. These palettes provide room for creativity, but don’t overwhelm with choices. They are sized for travel, unlike a mega-palette, and also include tips for application. I’m currently using Beige Brulee, but have my eye on Taupe Craze (in photo). Retail is $50.
- Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Colour: I love WAY too many lipsticks to mention them all, but Laura Mercier Crème Smooth Lip Color is definitely one of the first tubes I seek out when I’m applying my morning face. The formula delivers a color-rich, satin finish and is available in a wide array of colors. Palm Beach, shown above, is a fabulous vivid coral for Spring! Retail is $27.
- Lancôme Definicils Waterproof Mascara: Here in the desert, temperatures are already starting to reach levels the rest of the world would consider summer. To stay cool, we participate in a TON of water activity, so my makeup has to always be ready for some splashing. I testing Lancôme Definicils Waterproof Mascara last summer, and when I say “tested” I mean I wore it for a day of watersliding action with my kids. This formula didn’t run or budge AT ALL. Retail is $27.50.
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Eye Pencil: This reformulated version of an old favorite is still a mainstay in my makeup collection. This water-resistant formula is the one you need to pick if you truly need color to last from day to night. It applies in a gorgeous, smudgy texture that’s easily blended to perfection using the provided smudge-tip. Once the product sets, it will stay put for hours! Retail price is $23.
- Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Body: Dry, flaky skin be gone! Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Body is perched in my shower, and has been for some time. This physical/chemical peel first acts as a scrub. Then it should be left on for up to 5 minutes while it works it’s magic, eliminating dry skin and revealing the healthy skin beneath! Retail is $65.
- Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm: After a fellow beauty blogger raved about Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm, I splurged on one for myself, and have been using it regularly ever since. This undereye cream is rich, delivers the moisture I so desparately need, and also tingles after you apply (so you can tell it’s working to reveal healthier skin). This product is paraben free, and Algenist is also made right here in the USA! Retail price is $65.
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion: When Shiseido launched their suncare line, I immediately grabbed a bottle of this SPF 50+ broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen. Since that first trial run, I’ve purchased it over and over again. As you’d expect, this product is superb sun protection, especially if you’ll be pool side. What you might not know it is wears beautifully under makeup, as it has an almost matte finish when you apply. Retail is $39.
- Bobbi Brown Corrector: This little compact has been my “go-to” undereye concealer for quite some time now. Once again, while my first was a press sample, I’ve since purchased this product over and over again (and usually keep a backup for travel, or to ensure I don’t run out). Bobbi Brown corrector is a heavier concealer, and has an orange undertone that cancels darkness under the eyes. Retail is $25.
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette: I don’t know one beauty lover who doesn’t think the Hourlgass Ambient Lighting Palette is fabulous. This palette contains an all-over face powder, a highlighting shade, and a bronzing shade. It’s perfect for some subtle contouring, or to use each shade stand-alone. Retail is $58.
- NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer: NARS instantly won me over when they launched their Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. I generally avoided tinted moisturizers before NARS launched their version, as I required more coverage to even out my skin tone. NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer is slightly more opaque than the standard tinted moisturizer, but delivers a natural look. Since receiving my first sample I’ve purchased this product over and over again! Retail price is $43.
All of these items can be found at Nordstrom.com. Be sure to click through the links below to see and read other Beauty Blogger’s “go-to products”! I’ll also be posting another round of Beauty Essentials for your reading pleasure tomorrow!
The makeup featured in this product review was a press sample. Please click HERE to read my full disclosure.
Makeup Wars: Best Of 2014 Series
It’s almost the new year! This is always time for reflection and assessment. What did you do right in 2014? What did you do wrong? We all have some personal winners and losers, and the same goes for the world of makeup.
The Makeup Wars team has decided to fill these final days of 2014 with some of the makeup “winners” of 2014. Today’s topic? The best foundation, CC, or BB Cream from 2014.
My Pick: Top Foundation 2014 Edition
For me, the answer was easy: Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth Infusing Makeup. The answers from the rest of the MW team can be found at the end of this post, so be sure to scroll down to read them!
I was introduced to this new Estee Lauder formula toward the end of summer 2014, and have been using it regularly ever since! Why is it so special? The name says it all! Youth. Infusing. This formula instantly imparts a healthy glow that really makes the wearer look younger, and now that I’m of a **cough, cough** certain age, this fact alone was enough to win my heart! But there’s more! Not only does Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth Infusing Makeup deliver that special youthful glow, it also contains an SPF25, brightening ingredients, and no fragrance… This beauty blogger has become a loyal fan!
Retail price is $45. It’s worth every penny, but the budget-conscious among you should wait until a great Estee Lauder GWP is available to grab a bottle. Love what you see? I’ve pulled together a list of the Best Estee Lauder Products for you to peruse!
The makeup featured in this product review was a press sample. Please click HERE to read my full disclosure.
My greatest recent discovery has been the brand IT Cosmetics, and their incredible line of cosmetics and tools. Currently, IT Cosmetics is offering a value set on QVC named “CC Your Way To Beautiful”. It’s a great way to try out the brand, as this kit contains some beauty basics that many women use regularly.
New from tarte! Colored Clay CC Primers! This new product applies to the skin easily, in a chunky crayon-like format. This CC Primer is available in five shades: fair, light, medium, tan, and deep. But there’s a twist! Colored Clay CC Primer also contains a purple highlighting shade to brighten the appearance of the complexion, and a green shade to neutralize redness.
Tarte Colored Clay CC Primer Review
If you have nearly-perfect skin, you can use this new primer stand-alone, as a glorified concealer. Personally, I use it as a first step prior to applying foundation and a powder. I love how this primer neutralizes the redness that I battle daily, with ease! Because the colored clays are kept separate in the product like adorable colorful wedges, you can also focus application on one shade more than another, depending on your complexion needs. Click through for swatches from this new tarte launch!