It’s all about color, right now readers. I’m talking bright, bold, and exciting color! MAC recently launched the “Playland” collection, and if you’re looking to grab a trendy shade or two to liven up your makeup, this is one launch you need to see. [Read more...]
Today’s traffic will be really low… so if you’re looking for some beauty entertainment, I’m going to direct you to my Holiday Gift Guide 2013 feature. Head back tomorrow for more reviews, news, and gift ideas!
The older I get, the less I want. You’re skeptical, but it’s true! I’m through with being a “collector” and would much rather own a few beautiful things that I love, treasure, and USE! No more of this sitting in the closet for a special occasion crap, the best stuff should be used now! You can’t take it with you, I promise!
So the truth is, I really don’t want any holiday gifts. What I really want are experiences to share with my family.
In the spirit of giving you some eye candy for the holiday season, I am going to give you FIVE items I would love to receive for any occasion.
1) Spa Avania is my favorite spot for R&R. This day spa is located in Scottsdale, AZ, and is part of the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale facility (though even non-guests are welcome). If you purchase any amenity, you can relax by their tranquil mineral pool for the entire day. First on any gift-list for this beauty blogger would be a spa pedicure and a full day of soaking in the sun at this luxe retreat. Click HERE to read about the spa and book a service.
2) Blue Nile Wide Polished Cuff Bracelet in 14K Yellow Gold. I love gold. You know that by now. In my mind, gold should be YELLOW (the only exception being as the setting for a giant diamond). I’m over the stacked wrist, and think a gleaming gold cuff is the perfect replacement. Retail is $3,350 at Blue Nile.
3) The NARS Guy Bourdin Beautiful Stranger Polish Coffret is perfect. Four full-sized bottles of nail color: two are classics (red and pink) and two are trendy (purple and a grey/lavender). If you’re a non-hoarder Retail is $35 at Nordstrom.com.
4) This time of year I always stock up on eye pencils. Generally I forget how old my eye pencils are, so I purge them during the holiday season every year, and restock. It’s the best time to purchase pencils, because so many holiday collections contain value sets like the Laura Mercier Line & Define Pencil Collection! Retail price is $45, and they’re perfect for those who love variety, or those who travel frequently.
5) Trust me, I LOVE expensive bags. I obsess over them, drool over them, and occasionally buy one as well. I’m a fan of American designer Tory Burch, and lately I have my eye on her Thea Triple Zip. This design is better than the original Thea satchel, because the outer sides of the bag are additional zip compartments. It’s fashionable and fun, but also very practical. I would love the Thea in Dark Cherry, but the bag also comes in Black and Royal Tan. Retail is $495 at Shopbop.com.
Be sure to click the links below to see the holiday wish lists of the Makeup Wars team!
Ok, so “million dollar” is a bit of hyperbole. This round of “Makeup Wars” was an amazingly fun challenge. Each of us decided to create a look using the most expensive items in our beauty cache!
To kick off the process, I scraped the bottom of my tub of Revision Skincare Multi Protection SPF 50 ($48), and patted on some Murad Essential-C Eye Cream ($57). Both are great to moisturize and protect from the sun’s rays.
TheFind has fallen in love with the Boy Meets Girl® Sanctuary Top in Black AND White, as worn by the Veronica’s in “Behind the Seams with Stacy Igel”!
Girls Talkin Smack give us the details on all of the happenings at Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week, including the best dressed celebs.
A Few Goody Gumdrops picks the brain of People Magazine’s StyleWatch editor about the Blazer , the latest “must have”!
Shopping and Info thinks Demi Moore is looking fab in her Gucci bathing suit as seen in Harpers Bazaar!
RedPoppy is loving Giambattista Valli’s Spring 2012 Haute Couture collection shown at Paris Fashion Week.
The Budget Fashionista loves Rachel Bilson’s style !
Raging Rouge tells us about the chocolate strawberry facial mask for Valentine’s Day that is too good to eat!
With this post, we bid a fond adieu to 2011. Good riddance, right? Let’s face it, 2011 was a smashing year for makeup… but not so good in the world of economics, politics or international relations. Let’s hope 2012 is smashing in more ways than one!
Here are some other favorites from 2011.
I loved Bath & Body Works Paris Amour fragrance, as it actually captured the effervescent sweet scent of Champagne!
Jewel-tones were back with a vengeance this Fall, and the Green Eye was top of the pops! Estee Lauder’s Emerald Oasis quad nailed the trend, blending earth tones with greens and an icy white.
Fendi launched it’s first fragrance in like… forever. Fan di Fendi is a sensual and sophisticated scent. Not at all like what you’d expect from watching their ads!
The 80s were large and in-charge, and MAC’s Street Art Palette contained shades to capture an 80s colorful eye, with a nod to graffiti artists everywhere.
This year I tried something a bit different. My holiday gift guide contained only the best of the gifts that crossed my desk. Sure, the holidays are over. Some of these winning gifts might be on sale! If you’re bored, cruise on over to snag a few for yourself!
See you in 2012! Happy New Year!
2011 was a year of new favorites for this beauty blogger!
MAC Sheen Supreme was one of my top picks for lipcolor in 2011.
Urban Decay Afterglow made the apples of our collective cheeks “pop!”
Affordable fragrance-free shampoo and conditioner hit the scene with Finesse Clean + Simple.
tarte introduced some incredible water-proof wonders! Their Amazonian Clay Waterproof Eye Liner colors are simply to die for, and budge proof!
Skin was IN in 2011, and effective at-home skin treatments were on the rise as a result. One of my top picks continues to be the Brazilian Peel at home Glycolic treatment. I love it for being both effective, and FAST!
The largest growing category in 2011 beauty was NAILS! Here are some of 2011′s best.
Loud and proud primary colors like those in MAC Wonder Woman nail lacquer collection ruled. Women who wouldn’t have been caught dead wearing blue nail polish a year ago, were suddenly wearing it on their toes!
Rose Gold was big on the scene, in both jewelry and makeup. Estee Lauder’s Shimmering Bronze nail lacquer was one of the new neutrals. A soft bronze metallic nail polish that goes with everything.
Orange makeup was the cutting-edge trend of 2011, and will become more mainstream in 2012. I loved Finger Sweets Citrus Splash nail lacquer on the toes!
Is it purple, is it violet? MAC Rain of Flowers was an interesting take on the Eggplant nail shade, adding some shimmer for a multi-dimensional appearance.
Duri’s Fall 2011 “Wine Tasting Party” included classic reds and greige-purple trendy shades for a mere $5 each.